Sunday, March 1, 2009

discontent in HELL...



Sasquatch had been napping all morning. She seems worn out all the time lately...too many changes for her little doggy psyche to deal with I think. Frankly, I've felt a little worn out myself...perhaps there've been too many changes for my little human psyche too. I long for the change that the remodeling project will bring about, but I also long for things to get back to normal. I suppose it's the promise of Spring in the air that has made me restless and discontented. There's a feeling of anticipation that I cannot attribute to anything specific...a desire for change...for something new. I'm thinking of painting again...not the walls this time, but canvases. I see the light reflected on the ground and the trees and I want to paint it...capture the quality of the light and it doesn't matter on what. I used to be a fairly decent painter. Can I still? Beats me. In any case, I really don't have time for that...not as long as there's a house to take care of and a soul sucking (but excellent!) job to go to five days a week. So, maybe I'm not really ready for painting. If I were, I'd find a way. Undoubtedly, the notion will pass.


J&G and I went out for dinner...A belated birthday celebration...G's and mine in January and J's in February. J mentioned that she had had a good dish in New Orleans...lobster pot stickers or dumplings in a lobster butter sauce. She wanted me to recreate this dish, but was having trouble telling me what it tasted like, except that it was "good." Well, yeah, lobster and butter...how could it be anything but? So, I thought about it a little...I have made a seafood ravioli that's turned out well, so I thought perhaps I could adapt that for just lobster then make a beurre blanc for the sauce. Since I had nothing else to do (Sas was still napping and there was nothing going on in HELL...well, I don't guess there was. I didn't actually check, but it's gotten dull over there and checking seemed like too much trouble.) I thought I could do a trial recipe. So that's what I did. Well, lobster ravioli is quite a dish. I used a lobster tail, red bell pepper, shallots, portabella mushrooms, tarragon, bread crumbs...held together with a little liquid and stuffed into wonton skins. They were incredibly good, but the beurre blanc was a little too much. Before I fix the dish for my most demanding sister, I'll have to perfect another sauce. I have some ideas in mind and it won't be a hardship to work on sauces. Of course, a picture cannot convey the deliciousness...tarragon is the key, plus a little lemon zest in the filling and on top.
No, this entry has little to do with HELL, but since that's been the hook, it seems like a good idea to use it. And certainly the idea of hell is not inappropriate since Sas and I have been living in remodeling hell for awhile now. But we know the outcome will be worth it, thanks to the diligence of H and A.
--Ina





2 comments:

  1. “…a soul sucking (but excellent!) job” sounds like someone fears colleagues may be (covertly) monitoring the transmissions. About the general malaise, perhaps you should avail yourself of a Day Spa event like Sas did. Make sure you get a cool bandana but I’d pass on the de-worming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fears, Anon...The colleagues who read here are like minded and trustworthy. I think.
    Thanks for the nice comment on de-worming...Glad to know you think I'm probably parasite-free...

    ReplyDelete