Sunday, March 8, 2009

their foot shall slide in due time...



Sasquatch and I are enduring the torment of remodeling everlasting. Our foot had slid (on the splintery plywood) and it seemed for sure that the day of our calamity was at hand. Well, it wasn't just a day. It has been several days, weeks, in fact, and there is no sign of the end...remodeling everlasting. Sas is depressed; I am unsettled; we are a mess. And our home! Talk about messes!! I am unable to find anything and Sasquatch is unable to find her way through the back door to the deck. I have the office as an escape, but poor Sas. I fear she may become totally unhinged before too much longer. She gives me her hand in supplication, begging for relief, but there's little I can do. Had I realized how this would affect her, I would have thought twice about this remodeling project. Oh, I would have gone ahead with it, but I definitely would have spent more time in contemplation.


The parts of our project that are finished have been most satisfying. The back door, with its blinds between the glass, rocks hard (although it is a source of endless confusion for poor Sas.). And my new sink!! It's a thing of beauty, deep and dark and spacious. And the faucet!! The lightest touch on the handle produces a cascade of sparkling water...hot or cold! Amazing. I am totally in love.





My new countertops are very nice too. They're a very pale gray and have some mottling in them to resemble stone. Quite nice, except for the island. A mix up at the fabricator produced a less-than-satisfying result with regard to the edges. H. assured me that I could send it back and make them do it over, but that would take 2 to 3 weeks and I think I can learn to live with it. I'm sure I can.








And then, there's the...oh wait, the door, the sink and the counters...that's all there is so far. Well, surely the rest cannot be far behind. Surely, I tell myself and I tell Sas and she just sniffs in disgust. Really, her attitude lately has become most unattractive. I understand what she's going through...no one understands better than I, but it's time for her to suck it up and deal. Sometimes she can be such a little bitch.
It's the noise that has been the worst I think. On Saturday, I had to retreat to my bedroom in an effort to escape it. It wasn't a very successful effort either. Sunday was worse, with some sort of whining power tool that went on endlessly. H had turned on his radio...ZZ Top, which never has been my favorite orchestra, blared from the speaker...I put Ella on in my room, but she was no match for Sharp Dressed Man...well, who is?

I thought I might distract myself by taking a trip to HELL. I got into Aubergine's account to see if there had been any activity. There had and not in a good way. She was being stalked by many of the creeps who visit me!! I guess that's not too surprising since our profiles are quite similar. Mine is superior, but Aubergine was my first attempt. I've noticed some folks revise their profiles regularly. I don't. I don't care that much. So, Aubergine...there was that disgusting dope with the freakishly abnormal "package" for one. But at least he hadn't sent her any messages...He's from some burg in Illinois called Niles, so even if he does try to contact her (or me) we should be able to avoid him pretty easily. Then there was Rickpowrful, who spends a lot of time thinking about how dominant he is and how he's looking for a good woman who will submit to his every demand and desire. Sounds like fun Rick! I'll fetch beers for you and open them with my teeth and then you can tie me up and ignore me for 3 or 4 hours while you watch some sports extravaganza on television. Perhaps you'll remember to untie me before the circulation in my wrists and ankles is completely gone. But hey! if you don't I can always get the feeling back by massaging your shoulders and walking on your back! And yes, I'd love to do your laundry. That's what we good little women do best! No, I don't mind ironing your socks, not at all. Man of my dreams! I'm yours! Rick had included a photo of himself, from the back, from the waist down. Oh, he had jeans on, but this is one time it might have been better if he'd left them off. It was just stupid...his baggy jeans and his sad flat ass. Who cares about seeing that? I certainly do not possess a perfect figure, but I also do not publish photos of my worst features. So, I feel completely okay judging Rick harshly.



As I often do, I took refuge in cooking. I'd had a hankering for spaghetti and meatballs, so that's what I did. H. had turned off the water to install my sink and thought I was crazy to attempt to cook with no water.Well, I found a bottle of club soda in the pantry that worked perfectly well for cleaning hands and parsley. I mixed up ground beef, veal and pork and added bread crumbs and an egg and some herbs. I grated some Parmigiano Reggiano and threw that in...salt, pepper. You know, meatballs. I had some cans of San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce, plus onions, mushrooms and garlic that I'd sauteed with pancetta, fresh basil, some roasted red pepper, oregano, a couple glugs of a decent Cab...you know, marinara. I browned the meatballs in the oven and put them in with the sauce to simmer. Soon, it started to smell pretty good in my house. Later, when Sas and I were ready to eat, it looked like this.

Sas had a meatball to go with her regular dog food. She wanted spaghetti too, but I didn't think that was the best idea. She did have a bite of bread, but passed on the salad and wine. It was good and we were well satisfied.


--Ina



2 comments:

  1. "She gives me her hand in supplication,"
    Cool trick, how does she make her hand look like a dog's paw?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sasquatch is superior to and unlike any other dog. She has very hand-like paws. Remember how she got that brandy bottle open at Christmas? How could she have done so with a mere dog's paw? And I don't know how she does it. She just does and that's all any of us need to know.

    ReplyDelete