Saturday, January 31, 2009

HELL froze over!..no, really!


Sasquatch and I have been through an ordeal.......one for the ages. The ice happened and then the electricity went away, and with it, the lights, the heat, the oven, the CD-player (and Henry Hipkens warbling about a Snow Day would have been most appropriate), the washing machine, the refrigerator, the telephone, and worst of all, the Internet and my e-boyfriends!!
When we awoke to the ice, Sas and I decided that for me to attempt the commute into the city and the office might be folly. I called various colleagues to see what their plans were and no one I spoke to thought the office was the place to be and that was good enough for me! I planned a happy day of baking and dog-romping. Sas was delighted!


So we romped a little and then I set about making a chocolate cake iced with ganache. I thought it would be nice to take a cake to my coworkers the next day when we returned to work and I have a really good recipe for a 3-layer chocolate cake...lots of butter...lots of cocoa...lots of sugar, but no milk, which is good since I had none. So I set the oven to pre-heat and buttered and cocoa-ed the pans. I mixed the cocoa with boiling water and very hot, strong coffee...creamed the butter and sugar together, added the cocoa mess and eggs and the dry ingredients and stirred it until that "batter falls in ribbons" thing happened. I was just getting ready to pour it into the pans, when the lights flickered and went out! No!! I sat down on the couch in despair, and Sas brought me her favorite toy to cheer me up, to no avail. But then, after a few minutes, the lights came back! Well, there was no reason to think they'd die again, so I re-pre-heated the oven and once again was ready to pour the batter into the pans. As you will have guessed, the lights went out and this time they stayed out. And our ordeal began in earnest.
--Ina



No comments:

Post a Comment