Thursday, January 1, 2009

HELL'S handbasket...


There's this little feature that HELL likes to call your "handbasket." It works like this: every few days, they go through their files of potential matches and send 3 of them to you. This is your handbasket. You can look at the profiles of these 3 and choose to either accept them or reject them. heh. Now, I don't know how they go about picking these 3...When they send them they say, "We think these 3 matches would be perfect for you!!!" But, based on what is what I'd like to know. Most of the ones they've sent me are men I would never in a million years consider as a plain friend, much less a boyfriend. Oh, some seem fairly nice, if you like religious fanatics and lunatics. Others are just plain weird. Polyboy from Indiana was one, and the less said about him, the better. Then there was campinfanatic. He loved the great outdoors and was never happier than when he was in his tent, sharing his sleeping bag with his "little" woman. In fact, it seems that camping and sleeping bags were the only things he was interested in. Hmm. I defy anyone to find even one tiny place in my profile where I say anything about liking to camp or even that I would consider ever, EVER going camping again in my life. Furthermore, I defy anyone to find a single question I've answered or test I've taken that hints even slightly that camping is something I do. Nope, you won't find it, and yet, some arcane algorithm in HELL determined that campinfanatic and I were perfect for each other. For awhile, I thought they were basing their handbasket picks on proximity...you know, if you lived within 100 miles of each other, you matched. But upon further reflection, I decided that couldn't be right. I had discovered through browsing that there were several men who closely "matched" me and were within 100 miles, and yet, they never have shown up in my handbasket. Well, you say, they will. Well, no, I don't think they will because if so, why haven't they yet? Campinfanatic shows up every couple of weeks and Polyboy has shown up more than once. But has cartwheelguy shown up? No, even though he and I get 79% on the match scale and 87% on the friend scale, plus we live 89 miles from each other. Sasquatch says HELL is just yankin' my chain. Sas is a wise dog...
Cartwheelguy and I have had some really nice email conversations, but neither seems to be willing to drive the 89 miles necessary to actually meet the other. Well, email is easy and driving is hard.
Email is safe and meeting is fraught with danger. Email is faceless and seeing each other face to face is, well, seeing each other face to face, which could spell disaster. So, for now, I suppose we'll email and see if one or the other gets bored first...or gets brave first. It could be interesting...but I freakin' doubt it.

--Ina

No comments:

Post a Comment