Friday, December 12, 2008

the Engineer...more stuff

There were more phone calls, more emails. The whole thing lasted only a little over 2 weeks, but we did LOTS of talking and the more we talked, the more I began to feel that I could believe what he said.

We agreed that we needed to meet face to face, and so we made plans. We'd meet in a city about half way between us and we decided on a date. It's hard to say exactly how I felt about these plans. I'd never done any online dating before and wasn't sure how to act. I was a little apprehensive, but excited and happy. I felt breathless and nervous, but nervous in a good way.

But then there was the first time I sent him an email and he failed to reply.

One night, we were on the phone and something was said about HELL. He said, "Oh, I don't get on there anymore. Why should I? I've found you." Awwwww. But I couldn't help but think about that email that he had failed to respond to. And I started to think too much. A night or 2 later, I couldn't stand it anymore. I logged into HELL, and of course, there he was. Hmmmmm. What to think? I rationalized it away, sort of. Well, he was just taking tests or answering questions. But it nagged. Then a couple days later, he called and said a client was being a jerk and he was having to work pretty much around the clock to keep this guy satisifed. He thought it might be better if we postponed our meeting. Oh, if I really wanted to, we could still go, but he was sure he'd have to spend some time with his nose in his computer. I agreed that we should postpone and he said he'd call.

Well, from ardent to indifferent at the speed of sound? Had I been blown off? I figured if he called again, then he probably was telling the truth. So, I waited. And sure enough, a couple of days later, he called and we had a perfectly normal and happy conversation. Then came the Thanksgiving holiday and I didn't hear from him for 3 days...a record for us. He called the Sunday after Thanksgiving...we flirted and teased each other. We talked about silly and serious stuff, bounced quotes from our favorite movie off each other, laughed and just enjoyed each other thoroughly... it was one our best conversations. It also was our last...

--Ina

No comments:

Post a Comment